Dr. Marc Gafni is a philosopher, public intellectual and wisdom teacher. He holds his doctorate in philosophy from Oxford University, rabbinic certification from the chief rabbinate in Israel, as well private rabbinic ordination. He is also ordained and holds a doctorate in religious science. He is the initiating thought leader, together with Ken Wilber, of World Spirituality based on Integral principles, as well as the leading theorist and teacher of Unique Self Enlightenment. He is the director of Center for World Spirituality, a think tank he co-founded in 2010 with Mariana Caplan which is creating a body of work to evolve the source code of human existence.
A rabbinic lineage holder in Bible, Talmud, and Kabbalah, Gafni self-describes as a “dual citizen” of both Integral World Spirituality and classical Hebrew practice. He is a guest editor of the Journal of Integral Theory and Practice on issues of Integral spirituality, has been a faculty member of J.F.K. University, and is the author of eight books including the national bestseller Soul Prints, and The Mystery of Love, an exploration of the relationship between the erotic and the sacred. His most recent books are Your Unique Self: The Radical Path to Personal Enlightenment which received a 2012 USA Best Book Award, and the two-volume Radical Kabbalah.
An iconoclastic artist and provocative visionary, Dr. Gafni has led spiritual movements and learning communities as well as created and hosted for several seasons a highly popular national Israeli television program on culture, meaning, and spirit. He is the father of four children (the youngest being two years old), is in committed relationship, and lives in Northern California.
At the core of Gafni’s teaching and writing is what he calls the Enlightenment of Fullness, the linchpin of which is Unique Self Teachings, a breakthrough technology with the “potential to change the source code of the human experience”. The essence of Unique Self is that every human being has a story which possesses infinite value, dignity, and worth. That story needs to be lived, told and received. The unique story of every human is the source of irreducible value. No person can ever merely be a means to someone else’s end. This unique quality of every human story is not an accident but is the very nature of essence. Awakening to one’s Unique Self is an essential part of the educational, psychological, economic, emotional, physical and spiritual maturation.
The Unique Self teaching is now being adapted in ways which promise to shift the landscape of culture in innovative ways such as these:
- The Castlewood Treatment Centers are now working on a revolutionary approach to addiction and treatments based on Unique Self teaching which transcends and includes traditional 12-step work.
- A senior faculty member at what is considered the leading educational institution at the high school level in the United States has introduced Unique Self teaching into the school’s educational process for the past two years.
- A popular professor at University of Michigan has included Gafni’s teaching on Eros as a key textbook for his courses.
- A leading entrepreneur, head of one of the most important companies in America, cites Gafni’s Unique Self teaching extensively in his new book, Conscious Capitalism (Harvard University Press).
- Unique Self is adopted as a new chapter in Integral theory, which some feel to be the leading meta-theory of culture presently extant. (Journal of Integral Theory & Practice, Vol. 6, No. 1).
- A chapter on Unique Self was included in the Integral Life Practice by Terry Patten, Ken Wilber, et. al.
- Unique Self was the focus of an international conference with about 500 people from 34 countries.
- A leading Buddhist teacher wrote a chapter on Unique Self in his recent book. Leaders of a premier coaching school recently gave a training to their students on Unique Self and coaching, built almost entirely around the teachings in the Unique Self book.
These are but a few examples of how Gafni’s Unique Self is emerging as a key component of leading movements of thought and practice in our culture.
Also available: Marc Gafni’s Intellectual Biography